Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Do you have the time? To listen to me whine? About nothing and everything all at once?

Well, if you don't....don't read this....

Okay so usually I try not to get too annoyed with trivial things, but every once in a while something pushes me over the edge...like people talking in the middle of lectures, or making loud, obvious asides to a Proffessor's comments...even answering his rhetorical questions unabashedly because they think they are the only ones that know the answer...
Something like this happens in my PACS class every day with this one girl....aaaargh.... allow me, if you please, another interpretive reinactment.

Prof. Sanders- our instructor, and I suspect a hardcore liberal, likes to make a few witty quips about the Bush administration now and then.
Amber- We all know that's her name because she talks so much.

Nearing the end of class in 4 LeConte after watching the movie Glory...

Sanders: We've just witnessed the most grotesque thing that mankind does...(yadda yadda) still, we do it all the time. Is it a right of passage into manhood? Where was the glory in this war?
Amber: ::::Ahem:::: Well, my mom, my grandfather, and my grandmother, all of whom were in the armed forces, raised me to think that war is not the answer. It's a last resort, something so terrible you'd never want to get into. I mean...(yadda yadda) it seems to me that these men bonded together, that was their glroy

About now the class should be expected to begin humming Battle Hym of the Republic, nice and solemnly....

Amber: (continuing) Maybe Colonel Shaw didn't see them as men when they first came in, and maybe they didn't see him as a man either, just some wimpy rich white boy, you know...

And now, a huge American Flag slowly descends into the backdrop....

Amber: But after all they went through together...maybe, just maybe... (dramatic pause) they learned to see each other as men. And that's their glory.

Battle Hym people: AND TRUTH ::::cymbol crash:::: GOES ::crash::: MAAAAAR :::crash::::: CHING ::::crash:::: OOOOOOOOOOON!


On a side note...Prof. Sanders said that part of the idea of Peace and Conflict studies is to understand war so that we can understand peace...if we keep getting cliches like "Maybe, just maybe...we'll learn to see each other as men" from this type of study, we're all going to be stuck in this proverbial stoneage hitting each other with rocks, clubs, and noo-cu-ler hi-der-jun weapons forever. :::Sigh::: Sorry about that...I'm in one of my "Losing faith in humanity" moods...you know like the kind I get after watching Joe Millionaire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home