Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Wow...so this whole Blog thing has sort of turned into this economy of ideas...Update your Blog, Kat...come on. Everyone ELSE is doing it. You're not meeting your quota! Chop chop now! So much pressure...Erik has a Blog...Nick has a blog...Candice has a Blog...and I'm expected to keep up with this? Compete with some of my nearest and dearest friends for Blog precedence?! Oh, the drama. Mellowdrama, actually. (Look at me, I'm a Romantic Novelist! Quick! Let me whine some more!) Okay so I see that I'm devastatingly convoluted and random when I'm a bit tired...I haven't really been up to anything lately besides school and work...I've been thinking of writing a novel. Sometime in my life. (Just thinking, mind you.) I haven't writen a single solitary word of fiction since junior high. And even those little rays of literary sunshine were the most inane little assignments. My English teacher during these years was a sort of an oaf of a man named Mr. Sheridan. A big, round sort of type with closely set eyes and sort of a pug nose. He had two outfits: Shirt with thin red and white stripes, kakhis, navy blue clip on tie, and light blue shirt, kakhis, navy blue clip on tie. Variety is, after all, the spice of life. He was nice enough though really. I have this vague foreboding sense that perhaps he will read this or something. But anyway...this man used to assign us purposeless little writing topics like "Imagine that you're a frog. What are you doing?" In eight grade. I mean, honestly. Writing about the previously unfortold devices and cares of amphibians surely destroyed any fecundity of literary prowess I might have possesed. Shoot. No one cares what frogs think.
So now my uncultured little mind comes up like things like this:
Me: So the first thing I should do is make a character. Yes. How about a woman? Okay. What does she look like? Short? Tall? Medium-sized! Yes. Brown hair let's say...indescribable brown. And...hmmm...what does she do? What's an interesting career? CEO? no...not one of those sappy novels about the hardened executive woman with a surprisingly tender inner life. Ewww. Secretary? Hmm...maybe a good supporrting character. Don't want the main role to be the office flirt. Teacher? Librarian? Personal Trainer? Doctor? Telecommunications!!!!! Ofcourse! Perfect. So. let's look at what we have, shall we? Hmmm...a middling-sized woman with brown hair who works as a telephone solicitor...

Can you smell the Pulitzers piling up?
:::sigh::: No one cares what frogs think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home