Thursday, September 28, 2006

Good Holy Jesus in Heaven. In about half a day I will be teaching undergraduates at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Are they sure they know what they're doing here?

There's a part of me that's like, "I can totally do this. I *like* working with people. I *love* working with people. I'm a good teacher! And I honestly care about helping students do well!"

And then there's this other part that's like, "You are *barely,* if at all, older than these people. And nineteen-year-olds are nasty-wasties who do not think you or any of your wishy washy literary stuff is cool. They DON'T want to get excited about Anglo-Saxon manuscripts. They DON'T want to write papers. They DON'T want to become huge nerds that spend their weekends scanning poetry and playing super cutthroat games of Scrabble with their bands of nerdy friends. They want to go to parties. And put on eye shadow. And get drunk before they are legally allowed to do so. And they can smell fear...so watch out!!"

AAAHHHH!

Okay, I'm sure most of that stuff isn't true. I'm even sure that, even if it is true for a few individuals, they are exceptions rather than typifications.

Furthermore, I am also sure that I should take the adress to my blog off of my facebook profile...

I'll let you know how it all goes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home