Sunday, April 05, 2009

Alright, I'm going to indulge in a little food bloggery.

Last weekend when my Berkeley buddies were down, Candice and I spent a good part of Friday walking to Santa Monica to go to the Barnes and Noble to buy me some cookbooks. (One was all Mediterranean food, and the other was Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking. Both, so far, have been amazing.) As a result of said purchases, I have been walking around all week pretty much thinking that I am a culinary goddess-- able to incorporate lycopene into my diet in various flavorful ways, able to do superhuman things with basil, etc. This recipe didn't come from either of those cookbooks-- mostly it was just motivated by the stuff I had lying around the house as a result of cooking from them. And by the chicken salad BJ had a while ago at Bentley's. (But mostly just for the chicken & the spinach.) Anyway, here goes:

Chicken Salad with Green Things and Purple Things

For one serving, you'll need...

chicken, cubed or pulled, 1/2 cup? 3/4 cup? (I bought a pre-roasted chicken from the store. Would've roasted one myself, but...giblets? Ehw.)
hummus 1 tbsp.
mayo 1 tbsp.
spinach 1 cup fresh
parlsey little handful (I like me some parsley. You might want to hold back.)
red onion, 1 medium slice finely chopped
kalamata olives, 3-4 finely chopped
secret ingredient to be revealed later for dramatic effect 1/2 cup

pita (for serving)

First things first, wilt the spinach (I did it in a little bowl in the microwave.) While that's happening, mix together the hummus & mayo. Add the chicken and make sure it gets pretty well coated. The add everything else. Including (and here's the awesome part)...

GRAPES!

Really, like I said, half a cup of chopped grapes.

I know what you're thinking.

You: My God! Grapes! In a poultry-based salad?
Me: Yeah, I know. I'm pretty sure it's been done before. But maybe not with a greek-style chicken salad like this.
You: This, like, completely deconstructs the traditional lines we normally draw between meat and fruit!
Me: Totally, I know.
You: This is SO great. YOU'RE so great.
Me: Thank you.
You: Will you marry me?
Me: What?
You: Nothing...
Me: That's what I THOUGHT. :::eyeroll:::

It came looking awesome, too. Greens and purples are a good combo. I'd post a picture, but have no camera. If you'd like a visual approximation of the awesomeness, just think about what that famous picture of The Play would look like if Christopher Walken and Megaladon were in the background. Doing the Moonwalk. While eating grapes.

That should cover it...

Man, I am going to enjoy the crap out of my lunch tomorrow...

1 Comments:

Blogger bjswift said...

Add some crumbled turkey bacon to the salad and you might have to add a sharkfalcon clawing out the eyes of the Stanfurd tromboner.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home