Sunday, April 13, 2008

That's me, molding young minds...

So the other day my mom calls and asks if I can have a talk with my little brother. Apparently he has been having some problems in school-- refusing to capitalize the word "I" when it does not appear as the first word in a sentence and all. It was getting bad; the administration was beginning to wonder if he was a lost cause. But sometimes young people these days just need to be pointed in the right direction and given a little encouragement, that's all.

Me: okay, put him on.
Mom: (muffled, in the background) Andrew, there's someone on the phone who would like to talk to you.
Andrew: (after a slight pause.) Hello?
Me: Andrew.
A: Oh, hello Katherine.
Me: We have to talk.
A: Oh...
Me: It's about the word "I."
A: Uh-huh?
Me: Always capitalized.
A: (awe-struck) Really?
Me: No matter where it is in the sentence.
A: (baffled) You've got to be kidding me!
Me: No, that's just how it is.
A: Oh my gosh...
Me: Yep. So keep that in mind next time you work on your sentences, and you'll be okay.
A: Yeah?
Me: Yeah. You'll be okay...


...sometimes, when you reach out, they take your hand and pull themselves right up. It's a beautiful thing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness...oi!
well, i guess i can relate...my boss (40-some years of age) just learned last week when I informed him that chickens can lay eggs with or without a rooster. it baffled him. "you mean they always have eggs?" !! yes!! it was a huge discussion with the whole office! I finally blurted out "women have eggs! they do! always! no matter what! do we need to have a discussion of the birds and bees???" haha geez!

7:07 PM  
Blogger candice said...

Kat, that was such a nice moment. I remember the way Andrew would mug Kay's camera.

Miss you.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kaori said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kaori said...

Okay, that was embarrassing. I reread my comment and it was totally grammatically incorrect. Anyhow, what I meant was.. I wish you had a recording of that conversation :)

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home