Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Eve.

I don't blame Eve so much. Apples are really, really good. Today I walked down Weyburn on my way to class eating a big, round, giant-sized Gala apple that I had found at the store earlier, and it was so sunny out. It took me until I was halfway down my usual route on Westwood to finish it. Some of the pleasantest seven or eight minutes that I've ever spent. And if apples are this good in our own fallen world, I can only imagine that the produce in Eve's pre-lapsarian, divinely cultivated, noumenological paradise must have been first rate.


Pavlov.

I really like the TV show House. If I'm cooped up on Friday or Saturday nights doing work, my favorite thing in the whole wide world to do is to take a break from 8-9 and curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and a little bowl of popcorn in front of the TV and watch the House reruns they play on the USA network. Today I downloaded Massive Attack's song, "Teardrop," because I get all excited when I hear the first few bars.

Oh, Hugh Laurie...you cheeky bastard...

Unrelated.

I don't really listen to music, in the general sense, on my iPod. I fixate on particular songs. I'll listen to the same song, over and over-- maybe for a day, maybe for a couple of days. Sometimes I'll go out for a 40 minute run with the same song on repeat the whole time. Or I'll replay the same part of a song--usually the beginning- multiple times, focusing on one aspect of the piece-- the baseline, the falsetto voice, the totally sweet drum break or guitar lick. Today, it's actually been The Bravery's "Public Service Announcement," which features, as I have decided, one of the best lyrical moments of the 21st century:

You put the "broke" in "brokenhearted"!
You put the "r" in "re-tarded"!

I love these two lines. They're hilarious. They're sort of flippantly spoken/shouted by these two guys over this awesome bass riff. And every time I listen to them, I know when their voltaic turns are coming, but I still laugh as if totally surprised.

cheeky bastards...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, did you see the new HOUSE that was on last night?? It was one of the best!

Australian doc: "Why is Foreman leaving?"

House: "To raise llamas."

...that cheeky bastard...

9:46 AM  
Blogger Erik said...

I have a similar problem with songs, but instead of replaying it right after I've heard it, I tend to force myself to listen to the whole album through until I get to it again. A sort of delayed gratification that can be painful if the rest of the CD is only mediocre. Plus I'm afraid I'll wear a great song out if I give in to that urge to just hit repeat.

But you should check out the new Arctic Monkeys album, specifically the songs "Balaclava" (perhaps the only interesting thing to come out of the Crimean War and "Fluorescent Adolescent" which aside from an awesome and surprisingly complex dialogue of guitars, also features the lyrics:
"You used to get it in your fishnets
Now you only get it in your night dress
Discarded all the naughty nights for niceness
Landed in a very common crisis
Everything's in order in a black hole
Nothing seems as pretty as the past though
That Bloody Mary's lacking a Tabasco
Remember when he used to be a rascal?

Oh that boy's a slag
The best you ever had
The best you ever had
Is just a memory and those dreams
Not as daft as they seem
Not as daft as they seem
My love when you dream them up..."

I just can't help but smile everytime I hear a British guy say "slag"

3:49 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

Holy crap! Yeah, I'll have to check those out-- we just did "The Charge of the Light Brigade" in the class that I'm TAing for...I never thought that the battle of Balaclava would be one of those things that comes up coincidentally in multiple areas of your life...hmm...

and Erik! on the off chance that you read this regularly...I booked a room at the hotel for the big day! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to make sure that you knew about that or not...but yes! BJ and I will be there Friday night! wheee!!! SO excited!! maybe I'll just try to call you very soon and tell you all of this in semi-person...wheee!

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off: House is the best show EVER!!! And second (this one goes to Mara): the Australian doc is named Chase.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Kat! I do read this regularly -- and yay for having booked a room!

When are you coming in on Friday -- because we're having a rehearsal dinner at a park in Vista starting about 5:30 or so -- until probably 9. There will be plenty of delicious food if you can make it there =) I'll send an email out with all of the details soon.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home