Monday, October 06, 2003

Think we live in a civilized society? Not so, my friends...I beg to differ. We are fundamentally still hunter/gathers. The maliciousness of carniverous competition lives on in our humble race, no matter how we try to disguise it. Know where this unbridled savagery exists today? At Andronico's. Or, to be more general, probably every grocery store in America. Recently, I went to pick up a few necessaries (namely: eggs, bread, brownie mix) and was nearly bowled over while waiting in line by a swiftly moving (probably menopausal) example of what I'd like to term homo grocerias offendae. Offensive grocery store lady. A line opened up in my vicinity, the cashier motioned to me, and I was pushed aside in one fell swoop by a woman with a grocery cart who seemed to appear, like a maddened and bloodthirsty hunter zeroing in ravenously on its prey, out of the literal nowhere. Apparently this ritualistic claiming of grocery store line territory does not, however, end merely with a capture. The new, smug and resentful middle-aged hunter, must then turn to her ousted competition and survey them with an imperious glance, letting them know, if they had not caught on as yet, that they had lost, while the baffled "competition" stands there innocently enough with her brownie mix. Luckily, I had no real reason to hurry home, and didn't mind waiting the extra 30 seconds in my current line to make my purchases. If, however, I *do* happen to encounter this woman again at the grocery store, her antiquated ass is toast. And the celebratory brownies will taste all that much sweeter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home